Re: Emacs as a desktop environment

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs as a desktop environment
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 11:29:07 -0500

On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:36:27 -0700 PJ Weisberg <address@hidden> wrote:

PW> My point was really that "smaller, without all the unnecessary
PW> features" isn't a very useful goal, because for every feature you cut,
PW> there's a group of people who consider it essential.  Because those
PW> features are not meant for people who use the computer the way you use
PW> the computer, it's hard for you to guess how important they are.

PW> Once you start cutting out useless features, you're heading towards a
PW> desktop that's useful only to you.

I'm OK with that.  Since Emacs is the engine that drives it, it's easy
to extend or modify my desktop environment to suit other people's needs.
That, in fact, is the chief difference between an Emacs-based approach
to the desktop environment and the Gnome/KDE/XFCE/etc. approach with
hard-coded binary blobs and skin-deep themes and HTML+CSS visual
customizations.  The latter seems to eventually evolve into a Mac OS X
clone or a W32 clone; let's see what a fresh Emacs-based approach can
do.

Ted