Re: X selections and multi tty

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: X selections and multi tty
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 22:47:55 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I think it only checks to see if it owns the selection *on the same
> "display"*, just via some other "terminal" (since several terminals can
> share the same display).
>
> This distinction between terminals and displays is pretty subtle and I'm
> sure we have bugs around it in the keyboard code. So-called
> terminal-local variables are actually keyboard-local (aka
> "display"-local), but terminal-parameter is really per-terminal rather
> than per-keyboard.  And we have somewhat explicit visibility of
> terminals but OTOH keyboards are hidden pretty deep from Elisp.

I see.

The way Vselection_alist is used (i.e. it's looked up when Emacs
receives X events, and we know which X window got the event), we should
be safe making it a terminal parameter.  The main thing is not to have a
global variable that can get clobbered by events coming in to windows on
different displays.  I'll give that a shot.