Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?

From: Nix
Subject: Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 01:19:12 +0100

On 27 May 2011, Pascal J. Bourguignon spake thusly:

> "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm curious. Why is it a good idea that `C-b' and `left' are no longer bound
>> the same command?
>
> C-h k <left> gives:
>
> <left> runs the command backward-char, which is an interactive
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> C-h k C-b gives:
>
> C-b runs the command backward-char, which is an interactive built-in
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I don't see any difference in my emacs-version "23.2.1".

Yeah. This is a bidi thing, which means it's a 24.1 feature, currently
in bzr trunk only.

I'd say that the change makes sense, and if there's ever a time to do a
thing like this, it's in a major development branch. People *expect*
things to change between 23.x and 24.1, and this change is unlikely to
be very hard to compensate for -- certainly easier than the *other*
compensations required for the more complex third-party modes to look
nice and pretty in bidi environments.

Or so it seems to me.

--
NULL && (void)