Re: completion-ui and other packages in GNU ELPA

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: completion-ui and other packages in GNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 12:58:59 -0500

On Fri, 27 May 2011 20:14:53 -0300 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> That's a good question.  Currently packages are basically installed into
SM> the `elpa' branch as is.  We could give you write access there so you
SM> can install updates and even use it as your official repository.
SM> But maybe we should come up with a plan so we can give separate branches
SM> per-package rather than one big branch with all the packages in it, so
SM> as to make it easier for package maintainers to manage their packages.

How about keeping track of package locations (a branch, Github,
wherever) and then downloading them nightly?  The publishing step, then,
would be manual and consist of reviewing what has changed since the last
commit (which is also the last publish), committing the new contents,
and finally deploying it all to the HTML tree.

I would not make it possible for package maintainers to directly affect
the HTML tree of the GNU ELPA.  But perhaps I'm too worried :)

Ted