Re: md5 broken?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: md5 broken?
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 22:47:18 -0400

On May 28, 2011, at 12:09, Paul Eggert wrote:
> The "extern inline" issue is that C99 has a different
> semantics for "extern inline" than GCC traditionally did.
> As long as we stay away from "extern inline" we shouldn't
> have to worry about that porting problem.  (This issue
> applies equally to 'inline' and to 'INLINE'.)

My understanding is that the traditional GCC and C99 interpretations for
"inline" and "extern inline" are basically reversed.  So "inline" is just as
much a problem as "extern inline" -- although we seem to have been getting away
with "inline" for a while in intervals.c and elsewhere (unless we're defining
it away on more platforms than I would hope necessary).  Even so, I generally
consider "static inline" to be the only safe form, unless you want to jump
through hoops to figure out or force the interpretation of "inline" or "extern
inline" with your particular compiler.

Ken