Re: Debugging functions with lexical-binding

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Debugging functions with lexical-binding
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 01:13:24 -0300

> What are the commands to inspect local variables of lexical functions?

M-x esp RET

> So what is the replacement?

Currently the only replacement is in cconv.el near the beginning of the file:

;; TODO: (not just for cconv but also for the lexbind changes in general)
;; - let (e)debug find the value of lexical variables from the stack.

> [BTW, the debugger now enters recursively if an error occurs during
> debugger-eval-expression.

AFAIK there's been no change in this area for as far back as I remember.

> That's almost certainly undesirable, especially as there is no easy
> way to jump out of the recursive evaluation.

There was no such way, indeed, but as you note below there now is.

> Pressing C-M-c reduces one level of recursive edit but puts the
> *Backtrace* buffer in fundamental-mode which is IMO also wrong.]

Yup, the *Backtrace* buffer's content and major-mode are not properly
saved&restored upon entry to and exit from the debugger.  Patch welcome,

        Stefan