Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 19:45:18 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Let the user choose.  The query is:
>
> (auth-source-search :host "smtp.mail.hos" :port "smtp" :keyfile t :max 1)
>
> to find the first entry that has a keyfile and
>
> (auth-source-search :host "smtp.mail.hos" :port "smtp" :secret t :max 1)
>
> to find the first entry that has a secret.  So these two lines:
>
> machine smtp.mail.hos port smtp keyfile xyz
> machine smtp.mail.hos port smtp password mypass login myuser
>
> can be separated into a plain file and an encrypted file, or combined:

I want this to be non-annoying for the typical user without the user
having to do anything.  :-)

If the user has a ~/.authinfo.gpg file, then querying for the SMTP
credentials (which 99.9% of people don't have) will require them to type
a password, which is something that they didn't have to do before.

So I want a way to ask auth-info "is there even something that vaguely
applies to me here?" without having to type a password.  Because I know
that for almost everybody, there won't be anything there.

But perhaps that can be an smtpmail.el configuration thing.  But I'd
hoped to avoid that, but perhaps that isn't in the cards.  SMTP is kinda
special amongst all the protocols, since all the other ones are pretty
much guaranteed to need credentials, while SMTP rarely uses it.