Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 20:54:31 +0200

> Robert Pluim <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Where have you been whilst spam has been conquering the world? ;)
>
> I should have been on Hawaii...
>
>> I have access to 3 separate SMTP servers, all of which require
>> authentication, and it has been normal in every company I've worked in
>> for the last half decade at least.
>
> My ISP at home doesn't require auth for SMTP -- it's all IP based.  So
> is the work SMTP server...

You Northern Europeans. So trusting... :) (or maybe my admins have been
paranoid)

Seriously, I think specifying the username/password for smtp access
needs to be fairly painless, and potentially automatic: it's not going
to decrease in use. I'd prefer it to stay in .authinfo if possible,
forcing people to .authinfo.gpg is too much.

Robert