Re: Pretest begins end-June

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Pretest begins end-June
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 16:20:26 -0300

>> Stefan and I have decided on the end of June for the beginning of the
>> Emacs 24.1 pretest.  We're hoping for an early 2012 release, but, as
>> always, that will depend on the code.
> That schedule is way too early for the bidi stuff.  There are still 2
> major jobs I need to do (reordering display strings and support for
> truncated lines) and one minor one (a couple of bug reports regarding
> cursor motion around invisible text and before-/after-strings).
> There's no chance in the world that they will be ready in a month.

I know it's hard to guess the future, but do you have some approximate
idea of when we could reasonably expect to get these fixed?

Other question: do these affect the behavior of Emacs when
bidi-reorder-display is non-nil but there's no R2L in sight?

> I also understand that Handa-san is working on modifying uni-bidi.el
> and uni-mirror.el so that they could be used by bidi.c, instead of the
> current separate tables.  I would like to have that done before we
> enter feature freeze.

That would be good, indeed.

> If you must start the pretest so early, then either 24.1 will need to
> be released with the bidi flag off,

I definitely want bidi-reorder-display to be t by default for Emacs-24.

> or we will have significant potentially destabilizing changes during
> the pretest (which contradicts the feature freeze and will generally
> prolong the pretest).

Maybe we could let bidi-reorder-display be t, while leaving some R2L
reordering (such as display strings) unimplemented?

> I'm sorry for my slow progress, but that's the best I can do working
> alone on this.

No reason to be sorry.  We're all glad you're doing it at all.

        Stefan