Re: BBDB in the GNU ELPA

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: BBDB in the GNU ELPA
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:27:57 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>
>> BH> git shortlog -e --summary
>>
>> BH> should give you a list of all of the contributors on the project.
>>
>> It does.  But that's not useful when you're trying to find out who wrote
>> the last verstion of a specific function or even a single line.
>
> This information won't be comprehensive, will it, given that the project
> is at least 20 years old, so significantly predates git? I woudn't have
> thought that you can expect git to reliably reflect the authorship of
> changes made when the project was using an older VCS?

Of course you can, provided you imported all the history, which is
normally the case. You shouldn't lose any information that the original
VCS had (and Git cares about).

The real reason any VCS won't provide comprehensive authorship
information IMO is that it's common with some projects, especially
formerly, to commit other people's changes (patches etc.) under one's
name (some VCSes probably don't even know the difference between author
and committer), so while the real author might (should) be in the change
log file, the VCS committer/author will be different.

  Štěpán