Re: print a warning when starting Gtk+ emacs in daemon mode

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: print a warning when starting Gtk+ emacs in daemon mode
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:00:15 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> We get many duplicate bug reports of Gtk+ emacs crashing when run in
>> daemon mode and the X11 connection dies.
>
>> How about printing a warning when starting Gtk+ emacs in daemon mode so
>> that the users are aware of the potential risks (and blame Gtk+ not
>> Emacs ...)
>
> We already print a blurb when the connection dies.  Presumably it gets
> printed to the same place as your patch would, so if they don't see the
> one we already have, they probably won't see the one you suggest.

A very likely scenario:
1. user starts emacs --daemon
2. some time later starts an ssh connection to the machine and opens an
X11 frame, the terminal that started emacs --daemon is long unavailable
3. if the ssh connection has a problem, then trying to print a message there
won't work

What is the downside of printing a message at startup, where it is most
likely to be seen?