Re: converting octal escape sequences to utf-8 and back

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: converting octal escape sequences to utf-8 and back
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 16:06:52 -0500

On Mon May 30 2011 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> You can try to convert the \302 and \247 to/from bytes by using `read'
> and `prin1' (since Emacs also uses such a notation for its own Elisp
> strings).  As for converting those bytes to/from chars, just use
> (en|de)code-coding-string.

Thanks! The funny thing is that I am trying to make emacs interact
with the program djvused that uses a rather lisp-like structure for
its input and output. So using `read' and `prin1' is anyway a
natural way to go.

Once my code is a bit more mature, I'll post it on
gnu-emacs-sources. Maybe it'll be helpful for others, too.

Roland