Re: Pretest begins end-June

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Pretest begins end-June
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:43:39 -0300

>> Let me put the question differently:
>> *how* can we support code that rebinds pop-up-frames?
> It's a bit like having the cake and eating it too.

Yup.

>> Case 1 is easy (set the default value to `unset' and you're done).
> I'm not 100% sure whether this could lead to difficulties (IIUC I would

Neither am I, but we know that doing nothing will also lead to difficulties.

>> Case 3 doesn't sound too hard; IIUC it involves losing some
>> functionality but that functionality is absent from Emacs-23 anyway.
>> Do we really need to solve case 2?  Probably not.

> Suppose a user has set `split-height-threshold' to some value for use in
> Emacs 23 and in Emacs 24 wants to use a new functionality of
> `display-buffer-alist' say apply `fit-window-to-buffer' for adjusting
> the window height.  What shall `display-buffer' do?  Respect the value
> of `split-height-threshold'?  Adjust the height of the window?  Do both?

fir-window-to-buffer is unlikely to be something that you want to apply
to *all* cases, so if set it should take precedence over
split-height-threshold which is meant as a default behavior.

> I think I won't have great problems providing an acceptable heuristic
> for `pop-up-frames'.  But I'm afraid that packages outside Emacs have
> some very unknown cases in store for me.

As I said: not doing anything is guaranteed to bring us problems, so
even if the heuristic doesn't solve all cases, it should not be too hard
to come up with one that solves more problems than it introduces.

        Stefan