Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 09:24:38 -0300

>>> From my perspective the chief benefit is that any `auth-source-search'
>>> call against an unencrypted file will not require a passphrase until the
>>> password is actually needed, and yet the password will be stored
>>> securely.
>> Sounds OK.  But only if you push if further and deprecate
>> authinfo.gpg.
> I'm not clear on why you'd want that.

I'm not convinced it would be a good thing, but as long as we encourage
users to use authinfo.gpg, then any code using auth-source.el will want
to decide whether authentication is needed *before* calling auth-source
since that call may prompt the user for a password.
And if the code has to make that decision before calling auth-source,
there's no real benefit to having field-encryption.

        Stefan