Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:05:25 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:09:40 +0200
>
> It can even happen that both left and right move backward (when we are
> at the end of an L2R piece in R2L context), or both move forward.

Unless I misunderstand you, no, this cannot happen.  <left> and
<right> always move in opposite directions in the buffer at the same
buffer position, because they invoke opposite buffer movement commands
(forward-char or backward-char) on identical conditions.  If <left>
invokes forward-char, then <right> will always invoke backward-char at
the same buffer position, or vice versa.

If I'm mistaken, please show me an example where what you say can
happen does happen.