Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:01:48 +0300

> From: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 22:42:05 +0100
>
> What happens if N is large enough to cross into another paragraph with a
> different value for current-bidi-paragraph-direction - is the resulting
> motion surprising for users ?

It doesn't surprise me, if that answers your question.

Emacs is about the only application that can invoke keyboard commands
with a repetition counter.  So there's no "prior art" here for users
to expect something different.

But if this comes up as an issue at some point, we can always modify
left-char and right-char to make their decisions once per move.
Although I think the result would surely surprise more, because under
the right (or maybe left ;-) circumstances you could then invoke
right-char with a non-zero argument, and wind up at the same place
where you started!