Re: just-the-text Emacs frame

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: just-the-text Emacs frame
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 06:40:36 -0500

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 11:24:48 +0200 Julien Danjou <address@hidden> wrote:

JD> On Thu, Jun 02 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> I always thought frame decorations came from the window manager; is
>> there a way to tell it "I draw my own title bar"?  I think Google Chrome
>> does that.  If there's a frame property we can add at the C level to
>> hint this, it would make emacs-panel popups better and probably be nice
>> for Emacs in general.

JD> What you may want ultimately, is to be able to set various window types¹
JD> on an Emacs frame.

JD> Setting an Emacs frame the type DOCK will allow it to be attracted to
JD> one of the frame edge, directly by the window manager. Setting it the
JD> STRUT parameter will allow to reserve some place in the screen.

That would be useful, although I still want to directly set the GTK
decorated and deletable properties.  All of these abilities will combine
to give emacs-panel.el the flexibility it needs to provide a desktop
environment.

JD> I've started to work on that 6 months ago, my work is available in a
JD> branch². I can't recall if it's working totally, but I remember it was
JD> at least in a good way. However it might be a start.

JD> ¹  http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#id2551529

JD> ²
http://git.naquadah.org/?p=~jd/emacs.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jd/strut-dock

I would really like it if someone who works with the Emacs GTK code
could look at your work.  It would be really useful to me and seems like
a low-risk feature.

Ted