Re: just-the-text Emacs frame

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: just-the-text Emacs frame
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 12:37:27 -0500

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:30:42 +0200 Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

JD> Ted Zlatanov skrev 2011-06-03 17.11:
>> emacs-panel.el will be a package in the GNU ELPA (I hope), so if you can
>> commit there you can work on it too.  I'd like to avoid depending on any
>> particular features like your WM strut+dock support, the GTK
>> decorated+deletable properties I asked for, etc.  That way it can be
>> used in older Emacs versions and in XEmacs.  So if you can merge your
>> strut+dock work into the Emacs trunk that's great, but it's not critical.

JD> I'm not so positive to the strut+windw type modifications for three reasons:

JD> 1) It can all be done in Lisp in a current Emacs without code
JD> modifications (well you have to unmap and remap for window type to
JD> take effect, so that is a bit ugly).

If so, that's good news; it doesn't matter if it's ugly if it can be
abstracted inside emacs-panel.el.

JD> 2) Strut is intended for pagers, panel and such, Emacs is not that
JD> kind of application.

I want emacs-panel.el to do the job of gnome-panel.  So I'd like Emacs
to look like a panel.  Specifically, it would be ideal if the WM could
automatically place a special Emacs frame on a screen edge and keep it
on top of others (which IIUC is a strut).  I also need the frame to have
no decorations but that's another thread :)

JD> 3) Window types interract with override redirect and just setting the
JD> window type might not do the expected thing for all window managers.

JD> Window type might have uses, but then override redirect should be
JD> handeled correctly also.  I don't think strut is suitable in Emacs.

If you think it's not going to work, OK.  But it would be nice.

Ted