Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 23:54:18 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> We'd associate a passphrase with the file, not each piece.  It should be
> just like using a fully encrypted file, with the same passphrase caching
> mechanism if symmetric encryption is used.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking, too.  If you've given the GPG
password to decrypt the IMAP password, it wouldn't be necessary to
repeat that to get the NNTP password.

So there would be the same amount of GPG passwords with plain-text gpg:
tokens as with the fully-encrypted .authinfo.gpg file.  The main
functional difference is that with the plain-text file you don't have to
give the GPG password immediately to see whether you even have a token
that matches your search criteria.