Re: just-the-text Emacs frame

From: Mohsen BANAN
Subject: Re: just-the-text Emacs frame
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 15:31:08 -0700

  Ted> It would be simplest to call tiles by name (symbol or string) and nest
  Ted> them inside frames (always using just one buffer per frame).  So you'd
  Ted> define a tile with margin, padding, etc. properties:

  Ted> (emacs-panel-tile-add "myfeeds" :margin 3 :text ... :call ...)
  Ted> (emacs-panel-tile-add 'mychat :padding 2 :update-function ... :call ...)

  Ted> and then use it in a tiled 3x3 layout:

  Ted> (emacs-panel-popup-add "status" :tiles '(nil "myfeeds" nil 'mychat)
  Ted>                                 :background "black"
  Ted>                                 :layout-manager '(tile :x 3 :y 3))

  Ted> Does that API seem OK?  Or do you still
  Ted> think a H/V split tree is needed and we
  Ted> should support irregular grids?  Remember,
  Ted> they are more powerful but also harder to
  Ted> use and configure...  So maybe we should
  Ted> start with simple tiling and add irregular
  Ted> grids later.

Agreed.

Let's start simple and see how things develop.

The API that you suggested is a fine starting point.

  MB> So, I am proposing experimentation with the following
  MB> hierarchy:

  MB> - Bare-Frames (no mini-buf, no menu, ...)
  MB>    - Related Windows
  MB>        - Panels (Collection of Tiles)
  MB>            - Tiles (Optionally Live and Active)

  Ted> Yes.  We're at bare frames now, slowly moving towards panels and tiles.
  Ted> I think a panel should be a frame.  I'm not sure what related windows
  Ted> are.

By related windows I meant things similar to the
(calc-keypad) where one window is the keypad
(panel of tiles) and the related window is the RPN
stack.

We can see how things evolve and revisit.

Thanks for considering my requests.

...Mohsen