Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: `C-b' is backward-char, `left' is left-char - why?
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 20:27:37 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > I'm not sure we should make the docstring more complex by
> > mentioning about composition, but when forward-char is used
> > interactively (i.e. by typing C-f), the resulting buffer
> > position is changed more than one character if the character
> > at point is composed with the following few characters.

> I know about this, but is that really part of forward-char?  I rather
> thought that the main command loop advances point in these cases.

Yes, that's why I wrote "when forward-char is used
interactively, the resulting buffer position is changed more
than one character".  If C-f results in movement of more
than one position, normal users think it's done by C-f.  I
just thought it may be good to have a pointer to a place
describing a position adjustment done by the command loop
(if any).

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden