Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 09:55:22 -0500

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 23:48:50 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> 1) smtpmail would see that there's no host setup, so it would prompt the
LMI> user for the SMTP host and store it via customize.

What if I want to put the host and port in my ~/.authinfo?

LMI> 2) smtpmail connects to the server, and possibly does STARTTLS

LMI> III) It sees whether the server says that it accepts AUTH or not.  If it
LMI> does, smtpmail then asks auth-source for credentials.  There will be
LMI> none there, probably

LMI> d) smtpmail does MAIL FROM, RCPT TO and DATA, and sees whether that was
LMI> successful.  If it is, we're done.

LMI> 5) If we get a 5xx relay denied, we then ask auth-source to query the
LMI> user for user name and password, and then gives the server the AUTH, and
LMI> try again.  If it's successful, we're done.  If not, we give up.

LMI> Subsequent mails will be similar, only that we will know that we have
LMI> auth, so we do AUTH immediately.

LMI> I think we can pretty much get away with zero conf here.

...as long as there's a way to avoid steps tres through пет with some
external setting; I would like it if I could explicitly say "go ahead
and query auth-source for everything from the start" because I store the
login, password, and port for my SMTP hosts.  Then the 5xx errors can be
avoided.

Ted