Re: Turning on minor modes in File Variables

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Turning on minor modes in File Variables
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:22:20 -0300

> There was a plan to make minor modes always turn on if invoked
> interactively without prefix arg (Subject "turning on minor modes from
> hooks", 2009 in emacs-devel).  What's the current state there?

This change has been implemented for Emacs-24, tho it only applies to
minor modes defined with define-minor-mode.

> I guess there wasn't any change, `define-minor-mode' in `easy-mmode.el'
> in trunk looks unchanged.

Look again.

> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; mode: TeX-PDF
> ;; End:

You can also do

  ;; eval: (TeX-PDF-mode 1)

which should work everywhere.  It may/will prompt, but in Emacs-24 this
has been changed so that `eval' doesn't prompt for such calls to enable
minor modes.

        Stefan