Re: Feature change or bug - Emacs server

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Feature change or bug - Emacs server
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 09:17:07 +0200

Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Tim,

> just wanted to check to see if changed functionality I've noticed is a
> deliberate feature change or a bug.
>
> Running Emacs GTK+ 24 (recent bzr) under X (xfce wm).
>
> I have my EDITOR environment variable set to emacsclient. Previously,
> when I did something like cron -e or git commit -a, emacs would popup
> a new frame on the virtual diesktop where I issued the command, I
> would make the changes, do the normal C-x 4 and the frame would close,
> returning me to the terminal and the command that triggered the edit
> would complete its work.

That's a bit strange.  emacsclient foo.txt should have always found
foo.txt in an existing frame (possibly on another workspace).  If you
want to use a new frame, you have to provide the -c, --create-frame
option.  Or to use a new terminal frame, use -t, --tty.

I have

  EDITOR=emacsclient -t

and

  VISUAL=emacsclient -c