Re: Modifying Emacs to use the Mac OS X Keychain Services

From: Ben Key
Subject: Re: Modifying Emacs to use the Mac OS X Keychain Services
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:30:31 -0500

Hello,

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Please throw an error if the requested keychain doesn't exist, same as
> above.

It may be more useful to only throw the error for the "session" or
"secrets:session" values for the keychain parameter and to handle
values other than "login," "secrets:Login," "default,"
"secrets:default," "session", or "secrets:session" as an indication
that a keychain file named ~/Library/Keychains/{keychain}.keychain
should be used.  If this keychain file exists, I can open it using
SecKeychainOpen.  If the keychain file does not exist I can create it
with SecKeychainCreate.  What do you think of this idea?

> Don't be afraid of diverging from the Secrets API.  The Keychain
> Services API is not the same thing, we know that.  Please add that
> parameter to the calls.

OK.  I will abandon my attempt to conform to the Secrets API.  This
will actually make things a little easier.  I will provide a Keychain
and Service Name parameter for each of my new functions.

> Are you providing both SecKeychain*GenericPassword and
> SecKeychain*InternetPassword?

Yes, I will provide access to both the Generic Password and Internet
Password functions.