Re: Feature change or bug - Emacs server

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Feature change or bug - Emacs server
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 05:39:43 -0500

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:48:57 +1000 Tim Cross <address@hidden> wrote:

TC> Of course, if emacs had a decent web browser able to handle javascript etc
TC> and there was some way of having multiple virtual desktops, my .Xsession
TC> would likely end with something like

TC> exec emacs

TC> In the meantime, I will experiment with various wm until I find the one that
TC> is as light weight as possible while still providing all the features I
TC> want. Then I will craft my own .Xsession and hopefully again reclaim at
TC> least the feeling I know what is going on and am in control! If anyone has
TC> any recommendations on non-GNOME (or KDE for that matter) wm they have found
TC> good, I'd be i9nterested in hearing about it (possibly privately to spare
TC> the list!).

My work on Emacs as a desktop environment is exactly what you're talking
about, I think.  Look at those threads, especially
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/139687 where I list all the
things I think are needed.  I'm just starting now, should have a usable
emacs-panel.el with functional tiles and some WM integration eventually,
and then I will add the rest gradually (help is welcome, of course).

I don't plan to replace the WM, but everything else is fair game.

Ted