RE: adding manual cross-ref links to *Help*

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: adding manual cross-ref links to *Help*
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:01:52 -0700

> Adding cross-reference links is easier to do with Help buffer
> templates that improves `Info-virtual-files'.  I'll submit a
> patch here soon.

Thanks.  It's fine if you implement the same features in a different way.  I
welcome the feature, however it's done.  I requested it at least as far back as
2006.  I finally got around to adding it to my own code, thanks to the virtual
indexing code that you added to Emacs.

I hope you will give users as much control over whether and when the indexes of
the manuals are searched, for this.

But your explanation is a bit vague.  What is this about Help buffer templates?
And what is not easy about just adding a line like this to each `describe-*'
command:

(Info-make-manuals-xref function) ; Link to manuals.

Yes, my overall patch is larger than that.  It could be much smaller if your
virtual indexing code allowed for links to more than one manual at a time.
Likewise, if index-entry matching could optionally use an exact match.  Those
two enhancements would I think be welcome in any case.

Anyway, my patch is attached, in case someone decides to go for it.