Re: Feature change or bug - Emacs server

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Feature change or bug - Emacs server
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:53:14 +0200

Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:

> I am not arguing for an emacs based web browser
> because that is not practical.

I'm wondering to what extent it isn't practical, these days.

Parsing HTML is a solved problem.  Interpreting JS in elisp sound like a
fun project.  We have the DOM, and parsing JS can probably be done via
CEDET?  So it just mainly emulating the language itself, and writing all
the library functions, which sounds like fun fun fun, so I would kinda
be surprised if anybody hasn't done that already.

So the problem really is rendering.  Rendering HTML in a sensible way
would be easy if Emacs had a comprehensive rendering engine.  But Emacs
doesn't even have a way to line up two columns if you're mixing fonts.

So I agree that doing a real browser (where "real" means "you can use
gmail") in Emacs isn't feasible now, but that's not because html/css/js
is complicated. but just because Emacs has a weak rendering engine.

Sent from my Nokia at the airport