Re: [ELPA Submission] OpenDocumentText exporter for Orgmode

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [ELPA Submission] OpenDocumentText exporter for Orgmode
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 01:35:31 +0530

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I would like to submit the "OpenDocumentText exporter for Orgmode" - the
>> org-odt-YYYYMMDD.tar for inclusion in http://elpa.gnu.org/packages.
>>
>> The URL for `package-archives' is:
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-jambu.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/packages/
>
> The link is broken.

No it is not, it only seems so. The server (which is not a webserver, so
to speak) is merely refusing to list the contents of the directory.

Configure the package-archives with the above URL and the package will
be visible.

Here is the link to archive-contents and the tar file:
http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-jambu.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/packages/archive-contentshttp://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-jambu.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/packages/org-odt-20110613.tar

Did you checkout README.html?
http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-jambu.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/packages/README.html

>> 2. It is a "friendly fork" (or a "feature branch") of Orgmode and is not
>>    part of official Orgmode Repo (yet).
>
> Does it really have to duplicate the entire Org mode tree?

Doesn't have to.

> Why can't the "OpenDocumentText exporter" functionality be a single
> Org module?

There are three approaches that I can think of:

1. Roll out my own.

2. I can include *only* the modified and new files as a multi-file
   package and make org-odt dependent on a base version of org.

3. I can distribute my changes as plain old diff against a well-known
   revision of the parent module say org-20110613.tar.

Case 1 => KISS. Self-contained and guaranteed to be consistent. No need
to track dependencies.

Case 2 => In this scenario, at the least, the package manager has to
assure me that org-odt-YYYYMMDD.tar is overlaid on top of the parent
package i.e., at the run time the feature `org-html' is *always*
provided by org-odt package and not by org package.

Case 3 => This scenario sounds like an ugly hack. In this case, the
package server might have to maintain not only the latest
org-YYYYMMDD.tar package but also the historical org-20110613.tar in
it's archives.

Do you see any issues with Case 2?

> Also, could you explain in more detail whether/when this work is
> slated to become part of org-mode?

AFAICS, Bastien is in favor of inclusion (pending a review, ofcourse). I
believe that the only thing that is slowing things down is the Life
itself with it's non-negotiable demands.

It is close to 3 months since I proposed a formal patch. I am simply
impatient and restless.

> I'm not sure it makes sense to include it as a separate package, if
> it's soon going to be available via the Org daily package (or when Org
> is synched to the Emacs repository) anyway.

There is a strong case for package installers. It attracts more users
and thereby eyeballs. Newbie users are averse to using git. Furthermore,
even serious users rely on installers or stable released before diving
deep.

More importantly, I want that my little work to be available for
posterity and not be lost in the corridors of frail memories or fickle
servers.

> Also, could you explain in more detail whether/when this work is slated
> to become part of org-mode?  I'm not sure it makes sense to include it
> as a separate package, if it's soon going to be available via the Org
> daily package (or when Org is synched to the Emacs repository) anyway.
>
>> 4. The package bundles rnc files for OpenDocument format [3]. I need
>>    help from Emacs developers on what would be the right way to include
>>    the copyright notice. I would appreciate if someone could offer me a
>>    helping hand here.
>
> See etc/schema/README.

I need help on two fronts:

1. There is are different schema files for 1.1 and 1.2 formats. Can I
   include them both? How should my schema locating file be composed in
   that case.

2. IANAL and I am anxious to DTRT.

   Does it suffice if I just include the copyright info from the rng
   file or do I also need to copy copyright info from the formal
   spec. (See attachments) If both 1.1 and 1.2 schemas is under included
   do I need to include for each of the instances.

The spec is here:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2.html

RNG file is here:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/cs01/OpenDocument-v1.2-cs01-schema.rng