RE: what is the convention for `info' and `Info'?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: what is the convention for `info' and `Info'?
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 06:57:38 +0900

Drew Adams writes:
 > Resending - no response.  Can one of the maintainers speak to this?  What is
 > the
 > intention/design/convention?
 >
 > > Library info.el has a mix of vars, faces, and functions with
 > > names that begin with `info' or `Info'.  What is the convention
 > > here - when to use one or the other?  There doesn't seem to be
 > > any rhyme or (non-hysterical) reason.

Dunno about rhyme, but somewhere in space-time there is a comment to
the effect that use of the usual prefix capitalized reduces the number
of completions you have to deal with.  Thus commands that are bound to
a key sequence and unlikely to be used with M-x have the prefix
capitalized.

Whether this consideration is still relevant I have no opinion, except
that the only Info command I use with M-x is Info-goto-node (which is
quite useful as an @ref in code, too).  But there was a reason at one
time.