Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:42:20 -0700

opensourcesurvey <address@hidden> writes:
>Thank you for the comments. Our apologies for not clearly
>differentiating the two types of software. In analyzing the results
>and reporting the data, we will make sure to take this into
>account. For you information, we have sent the survey to other
>projects that would fall into the category of Free Software.

They are the same thing -- they are not "two types of software".
Rather, there are two terms for the same type of software, and those
terms each have different emphases.

I realize this not necessarily obvious to those who don't live and
breathe this stuff, so please don't take my comment above as any kind of
criticism.  I just wanted to clarify, as it might not have been clear
from Richard's mail that he was differentiating between terms and
(perhaps) between goals, but not between two different types of
software.

Best,
-Karl