Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:11:30 +0200

15/06/11 13:41, Sean Sieger
> Antoine Levitt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>     Emacs has come a long way since the heyday of the GNU project. I expect
>     (but I might be wrong) that for many people involved in emacs nowadays,
>     the only thing left of this GNU commitment in emacs you take for granted
>     is annoying splash screens and papers to sign.
>
> Yes.  Wrong.

Alright, I accept that.

>     They don't want GNU's "official" participation in the survey, they just
>     want the largest number of open source developpers to participate. Their
>     study is about how open source devs work together as teams in
>     distributed environments. Emacs is open source (aside from being "part
>     of the GNU project"), therefore it makes sense to ask emacs devs for
>     their input on this. Philosophy has nothing to do with it.
>
> Antoine that's a sloppy way of promoting the ghost of dissolution you
> mention above.

I don't promote anything. I just think that trying to force an agenda on
such a survey is essentially useless. It's like someone on the street
loudly complaining that the system of government is wrong to a pollster
asking who you're gonna vote on the next election. It's slightly awkward
to walk by, but I just have to cross the street and ignore it, which is
what I'm going to do.