Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:22:42 +0530

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 13:41, Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> ps: I am trying to understand where all this hatred to Richard's
>> advocacy comes from. Atleast in emacs-devel it sounds like an outright
>> civil war.
>
> I don't think there's any hatred to Richard's advocacy.

Ok.

> But at the moment he talks of "our collaboration" he's making the
> mistake of believing that

Instead of saying "making the mistake" I would have rather used "he is
hoping that his arguments and position are (atleast) being heard and
considered. How can any person listen when he is talking?".

> everyone who collaborates in free software does so motivated by the
> goals of the free software movement.

> It's quite possible to collaborate with Emacs (for example) just
> because you want a better Emacs for your own selfish reasons.

I will take it from others and make it better for my own self ===>
Selfishness

I will take it from others, make it better and pay it forward ===>
!Selfishness.

The latter position transcends Selfishness and is a pragmatic stand
favoring Sustainability. The Devil wants everything free. But once it
jumps in to the GPL bandwagon, it is as though the devil has surrendered
itself to be baptized.

Btw, Many of the Buddhist meditation centers operate on the "pay it
forward" model and have sustained themselves for thousands of years.

We may not agree with or follow Richard's idealistic view but that
doesn't mean that we should argue against him. Let's support his
position in the little way we can and show the naysayers their place.

That's all I want to say.

Let me summarize.

Juanma, you and I are not only selfish but we have "paid it
forward". That makes us "not selfish".

Jambunathan K.