Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:36:18 -0400

    I don't think there's any hatred to Richard's advocacy. But at the
    moment he talks of "our collaboration" he's making the mistake of
    believing that everyone who collaborates in free software does so
    motivated by the goals of the free software movement. It's quite
    possible to collaborate with Emacs (for example) just because you want
    a better Emacs for your own selfish reasons.

People are welcome to contribute to GNU Emacs for personal motives.
(They also have the right not to contribute, for personal motives.)
However, those personal motives, whatever they may be, do not alter
the goal of GNU Emacs as a project.  Freedom for users is that goal.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation