Re: emacs build failure on today's debian

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: emacs build failure on today's debian
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:14:50 +0900

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:
>> Right, that will work as a workaround right now, but I don't think users
>> should _have_ to do that, if it's possible for configure to figure it
>> out automatically.
>
> I was told that it isn't:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs23/+bug/746510/comments/3

Er, but I actually mentioned a method that seems to work fine:

   $ gcc -print-file-name=crt1.o
   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/../../../crt1.o

As Andreas said, of course, the _real_ solution is to fix Emacs not to
explicitly reference crt1.o at all... but I assume that's a bigger change.

-Miles

--
Opposition, n. In politics the party that prevents the Goverment from running
amok by hamstringing it.