Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:04:00 +0200

Am 16.06.2011 01:36, schrieb Richard Stallman:
     It's like someone on the street
     loudly complaining that the system of government is wrong to a pollster
     asking who you're gonna vote on the next election.

Exactly.  That person is aware that the poll will give a false picture
of where he stands, no matter how he answers.  Imagine a Green Party
supporter facing a survey that asks him to answer from 0 to 10, where
0 means Republican and 10 means Democrat, and that asks him to rate
various proposed methods to keep the price of fossil fuel low.

Hi Richard,

think that's exactly the matter at stake when such a survey shows up. One might be still more paranoid to be realistic here IMHO.

Nonetheless please permit a remark still at the complex matter which stirred up this thread:

When the first modern declaration of human rights showed up in french revolution of 1789 it was closely followed by guillotines.

Unfortunatly both evenements are linked together and history tends to repeat this series up to the present wars. I'm not going to question the sincerity of this men declaring human rights at this time BTW. Nor do I question your sincerity and even your reasoning. Your are perfectly right on a logical level of expression.

The issue which I have with words like freedom in real politics is: the more holy the cause, the more victims are permitted.

So I have some favor for the wording "Open Source" not with respect to a precise license politics or specific institute, but because it's not that pathetic, doesn't that have that smell.

Cheers,

Andreas