Re: netrc field encryption in auth-source

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: netrc field encryption in auth-source
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:32:15 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:20:35 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> LMI> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>>> If you want this done by Wednesday (including the creation code), please
>>> let me know if my code looked OK and if you find the interface
>>> acceptable.  I won't be able to do it in time otherwise.
>
> LMI> So please apply and I'll get started with the smtpmail.el stuff.  :-)
>
> Applied.  See `auth-source-save-secrets' for the only user-controllable
> piece of the code.  It should really be using the EPA functions directly
> instead of relying on the file handlers but I wasn't able to get that
> working.  Maybe Daiki Ueno could give me a hint.  Or I will get to it
> eventually...

I just took a look at this, it contains

+(defcustom auth-source-save-secrets nil
+  "If set, auth-source will respect it for password tokens behavior."
+  :group 'auth-source
+  :version "23.2" ;; No Gnus
+  :type `(choice
+          :tag "auth-source new password token behavior"
+          (const :tag "Use GPG tokens" gpg)
+          (const :tag "Save unencrypted" nil)
+          (const :tag "Ask" ask)))

I'm glad auth-source will show respect, but that doc-string is almost
information free. How about something like

"This controls what auth-source will do with password tokens: save them,
ask, store as gpg tokens in .authinfo"

Also, does ask mean 'ask once', or does it mean 'ask every time'? I'm
personally looking for something that would give me "don't store
passwords and don't ask me about storing them except maybe the first
time".

Regards

Robert