Re: 23 branch - can't push - lock

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23 branch - can't push - lock
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:09:39 +0300

> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:44:46 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> How do I tell it's a local lock?  I don't have /srv/bzr.

Then I was mistaken, and it's not local.  I assume that when you said
"there's a lock", you had evidence there indeed was a lock.

> I thought that was on the server.  No, I didn't do C-c.  I have since pushed
> to bzr+ssh, so perhaps the problem was one of authentication, and really just
> permissions on the server.

Maybe.  I always use bzr+ssh.

> address@hidden:~/Projects/emacs/emacs-23 $ time bzr log >/dev/null
> real    0m33.780s

Why in the world would you need the log of all the 104K revisions?

Btw, I suggest to set up a bzr alias so that "log" is actually
"log --line", it's much more concise and faster, too.

> First page only:
> real    0m3.594s  [faster when repeated,i.e., in cache]

What kind of machine is that?  On my 6-year-old Windows box with a
single 3 GHz core, I get this:

  D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\trunk>timep bzr --no-plugins log -l40 > nul

  real    00h00m00.437s
  user    00h00m00.343s
  sys     00h00m00.078s

  D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\trunk>timep bzr log -l40 > nul

  real    00h00m00.812s
  user    00h00m00.500s
  sys     00h00m00.281s

And anyway, 3.5 sec is hardly significantly different from 0.8, for
producing something that a human needs to _read_.

> address@hidden:~/em23 emacs23$ time git log >/dev/null
> real    0m5.427s

Irrelevant.  But OTOH, this is _very_ relevant for my work on the
display engine:

  D:\gnu\bzr\emacs\trunk>timep bzr annotate src/xdisp.c > nul

  real    00h01m23.421s
  user    00h01m18.734s
  sys     00h00m03.046s

  address@hidden:~/git/emacs$ time git annotate src/xdisp.c > /dev/null

  real    8m28.865s
  user    7m45.490s
  sys     0m6.090s

(The second timing is from fencepost.gnu.org, a multicore x86_64
server that is much faster than what I have here.)

> The merge of a single revision (-c) also took a long time.

How long is "long" in this case?  (You can look it up in your
~/.bzr.log file, it logs the time and network throughput/speed of each
command, something I've searched high and low in git and couldn't
find.)