Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 00:36:12 +0530

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:16, Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I seek clarification on "right to redistribute" against "contractual
>> obligation to redistribute modified source".
>
> When you modify GPL software:
>
> 1)  If you just use it "in house" (inside your company) you do not
> have to distribute the the modifications. (But it is of course nice if
> you make them available.)

You miss the point.

Companies that sell Routers obviously have their firmware running in
(big) Telecom companies. The software is produced for the sole reason
that it be used *not* "in house".

I am not talking of hobby projects or mom-and-pop shops but businesses
that are worth a fortune which have GNU/Linux as *one* of the *key
components* as part of their key infrastructure.

Jambunathan K.