Re: minibuffer-completion-help, metadata and determining completions sor

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: minibuffer-completion-help, metadata and determining completions sort order
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 16:03:20 -0400

> I'm having a hard time understanding how one provides custom
> metadata to completion-all-completions and friends.

The completion table needs to provide the metadata.

> Isuppose I could provide a no-op sorter once I figure out to
> supply the metadata; however that still feels wasteful since we

If the sort function is `identity' it will leave this as-is.

> would end up traversing the list of completions for no reason ---

Why would you think it needs to traverse the list of completions?
[ Not that it would matter anyway, since the list has already been
  traversed before and will be traversed again afterwards, any
  potential slowdown should be negligible. ]

-- Stefan