Re: Mergeability of xwidget patch?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Mergeability of xwidget patch?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:18:08 -0400

> I'm the developer of Ezbl [1], a package which embeds the Uzbl web
> browser within Emacs. Ezbl depends on the xwidget patch by Joakim
> Verona, which is in the Emacs repo under the "xwidget" branch. I'd like
> to have Ezbl be available to people without them having to install a
> separate branch of Emacs (especially since it hasn't kept up with the
> trunk).

I think both xwidget and ezbl are indeed a very interesting projects.
I do not know enough about the xwidget branch to tell you how close/far
it is to merging.  But unless it's "right about ready" (which doesn't
sounds likely) it seems too late for 24.1 which will enter feature
freeze real-soon-now.
Depending on details of the xwidget code (if it is sufficiently
modular), it might make it into 24.2, but otherwise it'd have to wait
for 25.1.
If the code isnot modular enough, maybe we could install some
refactoring right now, so that the remaining patch is sufficiently
modular for 24.2.

        Stefan