Re: Committing new smtpmail.el later tonight

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Committing new smtpmail.el later tonight
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:43:48 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> But maybe the above will work?  It seems to me it would work for
> `nnimap-credentials' as well, which perhaps argues that it should be
> in the auth-source API.

It's possible.  The SMTP situation is slightly special, though.  For
IMAP, we know that we want credentials.  For SMTP, we don't know, so we
first see if there are any there, and only if there are, we want to
:create the possibly missing `secret'.

I think doing that special-casing in smtpmail.el instead of trying to
shove it down into the auth-source functions is slightly cleaner.
Unless some new protocols appear that have the same requirements as
SMTP.