Re: [display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [display-buffer] a way to make it behave as before?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 02:23:52 +0200

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 01:20, Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> wrote:

> But as for `display-buffer-alist', it looks hard
> to customize so as to make it one's favorite.

That's not a reason to remove it from the trunk, but to document it better.

> In fact, it's
> hard (or impossible?) to make it behave as exactly the same as
> old Emacsen.

Martin's fixing bugs as fast as he can. But to discover bugs, the code
has to be there, and preferably enabled.

I might get to like it, but my interest is not
> necessarily in window.el and I have no time to debug it thoroughly
> for the moment.  I was only made to waste time to work around[1].

Most window.el bugs aren't serious enough to preclude using Emacs. And
if some are for you, you can revert Martin's changes, which are quite
self contained (mostly lisp/window.el, src/window.[ch], src/frame.c,
src/buffer.c).

> I think it was not too late to have installed the new feature to
> the trunk after having provided an option that enables a user to
> make it work like old Emacsen.

The new code has to be as compatible with the old as possible, sure.
But, an option to disable all the changes and get the exact previous
behavior back? That seems like an ugly hack. If you really need that
"option", I think it's called "bzr update -r104508".

    Juanma