Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:53:09 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

>> How does that work?  Typically users are running behind a NAT firewall
>> these days, aren't they?  So you can use the local IP address to find
>> out what ISP you're in.
>
> (you meant "can't"?)

Yeah.  :-)

> I should have been more precise: After you enter your mail address,
> say foobar<at>provider.tld, it checks for provider.tld in the ISP
> database and for the hosts names mentioned above to find a suitable
> POP/IMAP and SMTP server.

Oh, right.  Hm.  Isn't that even less useful?  :-)  My ISP is get.no,
but I know nobody that uses that ISP's incoming mail server.  So if I
query the Mozilla DB for @gnus.org, it probably won't be very helpful.

I'm just wondering whether the mapping from mail address to outgoing
SMTP address from a database is useful beyond background noise.  I'd
guess it would work for some people, but my gut feeling is that it would
not work for the majority of users.

And using a third-party service is a bit iffy.