Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:54:35 +0200

> smtpmail.el only supports PLAIN and CRAM-MD5 -- I didn't know that any
> SMTP servers used SASL.

Now I'm even more confused than normal.  :-)  I though SASL was a
specific password/encryption thing (like CRAM-MD5), but it seems like it
a framework for specifying what password passing mechanisms to use.  And
smtpmail.el supports the two vastly most commonly used ones already --
PLAIN and CRAM-MD5, so I think we should be good there.

So we just need to find out why smtpmail.el doesn't try to send
credentials to your server, or why it doesn't do STARTTLS, or both.  The
trace buffer should help there.