Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:39:29 +0100

On 27/06/11 01:00, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
David De La Harpe Golden<address@hidden>  writes:

You are talking about changing send-mail-function (see subject line).
A function that calls xdg-email to open an email for sending via the
user's preferred email client on an x11 desktop is a possible value,
with the advantage that said preferred email client is likely already
configured to send somewhere useful.

I see.  That certainly sounds like an option.  Is there a way to query
xdg-email before calling it to find out whether you'll end up in an
email client that's already configured for outgoing SMTP?

Nope, not that I can see anyway. It has some return codes, but they're gross "no mail client whatsoever" problems. emacs could try for it, and if it fails totally (either missing completely or nonzero return) try something else, but there is still a possibility of successfully opening the mail in a mail client that isn't properly configured.

There are also users who use emacs _as_ their preferred email client in the xdg-email sense e.g. [1] (Come to think of it I could start doing so, not supporting people using thunderbird as part of my job anymore). Then there is or was some risk of deadlock if emacsclient is used, and even if that is avoided, then it could have the peculiar/annoying result of opening in emacs again. Could set an env var when forking off xdg-email and test for it.

[1]
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg00606.html