Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:03:41 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 06:00:08 -0600
>> From: Christoph Scholtes <address@hidden>
>>
>> To Eli's point: is it safe to assume that the buffer content will always
>> be pure ASCII?
>
> That's the buffer through which we communicate with the SMTP server,
> right?  If so, AFAIK the whole protocol is pure ASCII.

Not if the binary extensions in RFC-3030 are in effect. However, the
gnu.org MX server eggs.gnu.org does not appear to have this extension
enabled. If you assume ASCII, you need to ensure that the mail server
never enables those options.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/