Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 17:20:57 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> We can use whatever protocol we want to submit bug reports.  Whether we
>> use SMTP, NNTP or HTTP, that up to us.
>>
>> And the result is the same: We get bug reports from users who don't know
>> their own identities.
>
> We need to reply to the user, e.g. to ask for details.

The From: addresses will remain the same as they do now, so there won't
be a significant difference there.

There will be some -- people who are running on systems that are totally
un/misconfigured will have From: addresses that are so mangled that
previously an MTA on the route between the user and the gnu.org MTA
would have bounced it, but I'm not sure whether that counts for or
against the idea of not using the normal mail channels to submit bug
reports.  :-)