webkit integration in the xwidget branch

From: joakim
Subject: webkit integration in the xwidget branch
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:00:22 +0200

I did a proof of concept webkit xwidget in the xwidget branch.

It loads www.fsf.org, moves about in the buffer like an image, and you
can click on links and so on. (there are display glitches still)

pros:
- shows tighter webkit integration is indeed possible and that the
xwidget branch is a pretty cool playground

cons:
- well, webkit doesnt have an out of the box mvc model. I find it
perplexing that state of the art web engines in 2011 cant even do a 1990s
type split pane view. I did some brief research around this mysterious
ommission and found odd references in wikipedia that this might be
covered by a patent or something. I hope I'm just having a bad dream.

Links like these:
http://www.chromeplugins.org/plugins/google-chrome-dual-view/
makes me think time stands still. Which is good news for us Emacsers I
suppose.

Anyway, if proper real MVC can't be had, kludges can still be made, like
copying DOM trees betwen views and stuff. But I'd prefer there to be
something nice.

--
Joakim Verona