Re: secure plist store

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: secure plist store
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:43:33 +0900

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Regardless of the other discussion about netrc files, do you want
> plstore.el to be an auth-source backend?  The
> create/search/delete/modify behavior can be defined as you see fit and
> does not have to work like the netrc backend.

I hope that you don't mind, I've just checked in the plstore backend of
auth-source.  It works pretty well for me.  In summary:

PROS:
- it works with GPG 2 (unlike netrc field encryption)
- it does not run GPG until the secret is really needed (unlike
  ~/.authinfo.gpg)
- it writes secrets in encrypted form (unlike ~/.authinfo)
- the encrypted form can be easily decrypted using M-x
  epa-decrypt-region (unlike netrc field encryption)

CONS:
- the file format is not easily editable
- the code is not mature (delete is not supported)

Anyway, if you want to try, set:

(setq auth-sources '("~/.emacs.d/auth.plist"))

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno